Thursday, January 03, 2008

We're Back...

Kory needed to finish his sister's job in Utah. So for the past week we've been hanging out there. It was great to see the kids be able to play with their cousins for several days. They all got along great and had a really good time. For New Year's Eve we went over to the church. Several tables were set up with different board games, a movie was playing in a different room and their was lots and lots of dancing. Maddie loved the dancing part. Her and I were out on the dance floor for most of the night. Around midnight breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage was served. Following the early morning breakfast we went back to Grandma's and went to bed.

Tuesday late afternoon we loaded up 7 kids and 4 adults into Uncle Dustin's truck and headed up to the feed yard to go tubing. Uncle Kevin and 5 of his kids were already there having a wonderful time. My little family finally made it to the top of the hill for our turn. There was one huge tractor tube available so Kory thought it would be fun for all 5 of us to go down together. We all climbed on, Uncle Dustin gave us a push and down the hill we went. After what seemed like just a few seconds I realized we were headed towards a patch of dirt that was no longer covered by snow. The next thing I knew I was laying on my stomach, face in the dirt and I could here my 3 children screaming. I couldn't move. Grandpa Heaton (Kory's dad) was by my side and helped me turn over on my back. I still couldn't move. I have never had the wind knocked out of me before. What a feeling that is. In just a few short seconds it seemed all the grand kids were hovering around us and all I could make out was there was blood on the ground and Hunter was pretty beat up. With help we were loaded into a truck and rushed back to Grandma's to assess the damage. The very short trip back to grandma's Maddie kept saying, "Mommy you have blood on your face and so does Hunter"over and over. Grandma took Emily who thankfully didn't have a scratch on her. Kory (whom also wasn't hurt) washed Hunter and Maddies face, while this Mommy was laying on the floor trying to keep consciousness. When I tried sitting up I very quickly became lightheaded and nautious. I was put on the couch and was checked several times to make sure I didn't have a concussion. My entire body was throbbing, and my head felt like it was on fire. It was a horrible feeling to hear my children crying and asking for me and not being able to do a dang thing about it. After a couple hours of Daddy and their grandparents consoling them they were playing with Grandpa once again. Hunter by far looked the worse. He had a nice gash on his forehead with several scratches and cuts all over the right side of his face and 2 fat lips. Maddie had a skinned chin. Mommy ended up with 3 Goose Eggs on her forehead and what looks like road rash, a bloody nose, and a very sore body.

Grandma Heaton took this picture a few hours after the mishap.
2 days later this is what the kids still look like.

Maddies chin looks a lot better. She no longer complains it hurts until she bumps it.

Hunter's face is still very tender. He cried this morning while changing his shirt. He keeps asking when all his owies are going to be gone.

Mommy is down to one goose egg, my skinned forehead is almost healed. It looks very similar to Maddie's chin. I'm hoping by Sunday it'll be healed completely. The right side of my face is still very very tender. It doesn't look swollen anymore but it still feels like it's swollen. My back is very sore. It hurts to carry or pick up anything and I feel very stiff. But we are ALIVE with no stiches needed, or broken bones. It could have been much much worse.

After a lot of talking about our accident and how fun tubing really can be we were able to convince the kids to go to Grandpa's pond that is frozen over. We had several small sleds for them to be pushed around on the ice with. They had a blast. After an hour at the pond we went up to the feed yard again. The kids were brave enough to go down the same hill as the day before but this time with no mishaps. They only went once but they did go. Kory kept saying we had to try to replace their negative experience with a positive one. I was to big of a chicken and did not go down. Maybe next year??? We then went back to the pond and by themselves they went down the small sloped bank onto the ice. They had fun and that was what we were hoping for.

What a way to start off the new year.


The Schultz Family said...

Oh my goodness TINA!! I have no idea what tractor tubing is but from the pictures I want nothing to do with it. I wanted to see what you looked like...chicken! :) Well I am thankful that you all are alright, especially Emily since she is still a baby. Hunter is such a trooper! You guys did good by making them do it again.

Camille said...

geesh!! That doesn't sound very fun at all. I loved sledding as a kid, but I haven't been in a while and I'm not too brave anymore. I don't think I'd ever go again if that happened to me. But you are smart to have the kids do it again. Kids just have to sled! :)
Anyway, I too wanted to see pics of you. lamo- you should have shown us. LOL Anyway, I hope you are all feeling better soon.

kory and tina family said...

When my mother in-law took the kids picts. I was still really struggling. When I asked if she took a pict of me she said she hadn't even thought about it. She was still pretty worried about my head. When I woke up that next morning 2 of the gooseggs were gone and most of the swelling. There wasn't much of a picture to take. I look pretty normal it just hurts.